Edible and Topical CBD Product Reviews
The acceptance of cannabis as a medicinal herb has grown in recent years, with several states legalizing marijuana and many more states allowing the use of cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive component of the plant. Clinical research includes preliminary studies of anxiety, cognition, movement disorders, and pain.
CBD is usually either inhaled, eaten as part of a snack or candy, taken as a supplement in pill form, or as a liquid solution. As an ingredient, it may be supplied as pure CBD with no included THC or as a full-plant extract that is CBD-dominant.
You can't quite buy CBD products on Amazon yet but if you live in a state where marijuana is legal, you can buy them from dispensaries there, or in CBD shops and stores that are popping up around the country.
Eating is a convenient and healthy way to enjoy your CBD products. By far the strongest edible is the Squib, which should not be eaten whole but rather cut in half or quarters.
- CBD Squib – This 100mg gummy is the best CBD edible on the market. Do not eat the whole thing! These products use a full-spectrum extract derived from Oregon-grown hemp and are available in six flavors. The only downside is that the sticky, Jello-like consistency of the Squib makes it difficult to cut. It would be a better product if it came in four 25mg pieces like the Cheeba Chew does.
- Tar Heal Pharms Gummy Bears – This edible was stronger than the Cheeba Chew and each gummy bear is 10mg which makes dosing convenient. The ingredient is a full-spectrum hemp extract sourced from organic, pesticide-free farms in Oregon.
- Cheeba Chews CBD Taffy – This 25mg taffy comes in packs of different sizes. The ingredient is a CBD extract that comes from organically grown, non-GMO hemp grown in Colorado. Although the best tasting product of the three, it doesn't have the same therapeutic effect as the full-spectrum extracts and the packaging makes it difficult to remove the sticky taffy.
There are several ways besides smoking and eating to medicate with CBD. Some alternative options are below.
- Apothecary CBD Tea – These tea bags make it convenient to brew a CBD drink before bed. Golden Dream is a great flavor if you're looking for a bedtime blend. Each pouch comes with three bags with roughly 63mg of CBD in each.
- Liquid Lullaby Sleep Tincture – This liquid CBD tincture is taken sublingually (under the tongue) about 10-20 minutes before bed. It comes as either a CBD isolate or full-spectrum hemp extract, and in strengths of 250mg or 750mg. Each bottle is 30mL and it's recommended you take 1 full dropper (1mL) before bed and hold it under your tongue until it dissolves. That's about 25mg of CBD per dropper if you get the extra-strength 750mg version. The ingredients include valerian root, passion flower, and lavender which serve as additional sleep aids.
- Pure Ratios CBD Patch – This 40mg CBD patch is placed on the skin near a painful muscle or injury and claims to work up to 96 hours, but in reality only provides short-term relief. The topical delivery bypasses the digestive system for absorption of cannabinoids directly into the bloodstream. It is waterproof and adheres to the skin well.